Friday, August 20, 2010

Breakfast Recipe

Apple Oatmeal Bake

Next weekend visitors will stay over again. Everyone likes this breakfast dish and it's so easy so I decided to share the recipe. This is a huge amount. I halve it and have plenty for four people. If you have any left, it's great cold or you can reheat it in the microwave.

4 c. milk ( I use water)

2 c. old fashioned oatmeal

¼ c. maple syrup

2 c. chopped apples

2 tbsp. canola oil

1 c. chopped nuts (I use walnuts, recipe says walnuts or sunflower seeds)

1 c. raisins (or cranberries, I use raisins)

1 tbsp. cinnamon

½ tsp. salt (I don’t use)

Bring water, maple syrup, oil, salt and cinnamon to simmer

Stir these items into the remaining dry ingredients in a heavy baking dish

Bake uncovered 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees.

I prepare the dry ingredients the night before and put them in the baking dish. Then I add the rest in the morning and shove it in the oven.

I imagine most people would want milk on this. I use plain yoghurt only. I think when you see and taste it, you’ll figure out what you and/or your guests will prefer. Perhaps a bit of maple syrup?




2 comments:

  1. Did you know that canola is always genetically modified (I think)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I didn't. You don't seem sure. What would you use instead?

    ReplyDelete