Friday, November 16, 2018

Looking for Titles: The Happy Retire?; subtitle?


Yes, the heading of this post does indicate I am writing a book about retirement. If you are thinking of retiring or have just recently taken this step, I would be interested in interviewing you. If you are interested, please message me on Facebook! Or send an email to marylou.dickinson@gmail.com.
Below is a short Foreward to the book. It could be changed, of course, since I am at an early stage in the writing of this book. But reading it will give you a brief introduction as my work begins around this interesting subject.

Foreward

I often thought I could have written a book for people thinking of retirement because I have found that in this later stage of life much has come to fruition. But as an author of four books of fiction, all published since I retired, why would I want to write a non fiction book? Then I discovered why. It seemed many people wanted and were asking for such a book.
            What holds the contents of this book together are the stories of many lives that have my own story threaded in and out of them. I am grateful for the willingness of these people to share significant parts of their journeys with me. So this is something that I have written from their interest in contributing to a project they felt worthwhile and from my own experience.
            I used a questionnaire to interview the people whose stories are shared in this book (see Addendum). Some interviewees asked for anonymity and I have respected that either by using a name they suggested or by creating a pseudonym. I have not included any surnames, whether the name is a pseudonym or not. This part of the project of writing this book that involved conversations with many people as well as having questionnaires filled in was both interesting and fun.  I have talked with people in person, on the telephone, on Skype and have received written answers and letters from others. Many thanks to those who offered and/or agreed to participate!

No comments:

Post a Comment